Saturday, January 2, 2010

a Girls' revelation.

One of my dearest friends (Hammie) and I share a love for a band called Girls. Their lead singer, Christopher Owens, was once a member of the cult "Children of God". You can read a pretty cool interview with him here...anyways...

The other day I was really having a "Girls kind of day". I told Hammie, and he told me that every day was a "Girls kind of day"... of course, I agreed. So, on the way home from work I had a Girls revelation while I listened to the song "Lauren Marie." You've got to hear it to understand it. Listen before you read anything else.



*I'm sorry if you can only hear a 30 second preview. You can read the lyrics here, or you can just sign up for lala and hear the whole thing.*

Ugh. The first two lines say it all.

I've been dwelling on all the things that make me just want to give up on life lately (i.e.- moving away from my dearest friends/family, Baby Matt moving back to CO, Mamba leaving to go back to GA, stupid work stuff, etc). I'm crying all the time because I'm so overwhelmed, and it's taking a toll on my health and my sanity.

The Girls reminded me that my life is not over, and I've got a job to do.

I may not be able to drive around town with Hammie while listening to the Girls whenever we feel like it, but I can sure as heck call him up and we can listen to the Girls separately yet together. I may be absent from the people I love, but I am reminded of them constantly. Those memories shouldn't make me sad. They should bring me joy, for Pete's sake! Now, this is not to say that I'm never going to be sad about these things again. As a matter of fact, I started writing this blog post over a week ago and had to postpone it because crap hit the fan and I had a melt-down and...eww. It was not pretty. This is, though, a reminder that life goes on. I'm still living as I write this. You're still living as you read this. Why shouldn't we take advantage of that?

Thank you, Christopher Owens, for making such beautiful music and speaking to my heart. Thank you, Hammie, for introducing me to the Girls and going to their show with me. Without you, I wouldn't have had this revelation...and without you in my life, there would just be something missing. I love you.


Christopher Owens
Girls show @ the Kung Fu Necktie in Philadelphia, PA
November 4, 2009

I don't know where I'm going,
but I'm heading somewhere
and it's not my time to die.
Take a look up, Jecca,
the clouds make way for the sunshine.

1 comment: