Thursday, March 4, 2010

nose knows.

I don't know about the rest of you, but certain smells have the power to instantly transport me to another time and place. I've noticed it especially as of late.

For instance:

The smell of wood and laundry takes me to Stanley-Land. I am surrounded by family, pups and love. Someone's looking for something. Someone's calling for someone they can't find. Mama's offering to make me something to eat, and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

The smell of winter is a wonderful thing. I could never describe it; it's impossible (but it's amazing). Whenever I smell winter I am taken back to my freshman dorm room at PBU. Renae and I are sitting, listening to music and "doing homework". I smell winter (because we keep the window open all year round). I tell Renae. She doesn't understand. We are bonded forever.
The smell of Vurt and cigarrettes puts me back in the presence of a dear friend. We are riding in the car, talking, laughing and probably drinking Starbucks. We make it a regular thing, because it's more than good in theory.

The smell of Polo takes me back to Sunday mornings as a child. My father wore Polo cologne and made cinnamon buns for us before church. I can't get enough of the smell. I hug him and bury my nose in his neck. (This technique proves to be most effective and is used later in life to identify and remember especially important people.)

The smell of grass mixed with a certain humidity in the air transports me to track practices after classes in high school. There's a whole lot of messing around and not a lot of practicing. I think I know everything about the world and how things should turn out. I am blissfully mistaken.

The smell of Comet cleaner takes me back to summer days of old. I'm sitting on the counter in the kitchen. Ma's slicing strawberries and sprinkling sugar over them. We'll have strawberry shortcake for dessert after a day in the sun at the beach.

Now I'm wondering about you, my bloggy buds. I'd love to hear about the smells that transport you to somewhere else. I think that sometimes your nose knows exactly where you secretly want or need to be.

Lerv, lerv.

4 comments:

  1. Aw... sweet post. I could recognize a bunch of those smells too. Three random smells that take me back (to places I'd rather not return to):

    1. Cold, wet camp. Grace or Bethel... take your pick, both make my skin crawl.
    2. Sweaty, stuffy, windowless classroom. Straight back to high school.
    3. Cigarette smoke. So many of my friends smoke now, that I can identify them by their brands. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jecca, reading this post brought tears to my eyes. It is true, scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. Smelling daisy (puppy) will always remind me of our porch date at the Stanleys. Old Spice fragrance will always remind me of daddy and the good days. Nanny always smelled like baby powder, white diamonds and just a hint of old people. The fresh slightly floral first day of spring that you can wear shorts on. That smell, you don't know really what it was, but it always reminded you of the first day of school.
    Thanks Jecca <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wind Song Perfume- laying on my mom's side of the bed before school.
    Stetson Aftershave- putting my dad's cold ands on my cheeks and my eyelids when he comes home from work
    Beneton perfume- jennifer and stephanie getting ready for school in high school listening to Ace of Base, Jewell, and the Fugees.
    suave hairspray- Jennifer's room when she lived there.
    fish food- sitting at grandmother and pop pop's house putting fish food in the tank
    spices- going to the Mennonite store in Crest Haven for Rosemary, ham and swiss cheese

    and i totally know what Jordan means by the first day of school

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry I'm a little behind...but I loove this post and want to add mine!!!

    Biscuits Baking- My MeMe had a secret recipe that no one could ever get right.

    Eucalyptus- bike riding in Hawaii under the trees

    The Winter Smell always gets me excited...idk what it is.

    The mixture of grass and gasoline always takes me back to the summers I would mow the lawn in High School

    Chlorine- oooh summer, come soon.

    The smell of burning things-takes me back to my old house after it burned down, we couldn't get the smell out of our clothes for like a year...
    (i know that one was sad...but its a memory smell for sure)

    ReplyDelete